.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Monday, August 15, 2005

Birthday Clebration

I came home on Wednesday to find that A sitting in our living room next to this display holding a lovely bouquet of flowers and a present for me! I knew what the present was already because the purchase was made when we were in NY and had been sitting quietly, all wrapped up, on the top shelf of my wardrobe just waiting for this day to arrive. In fact, it had been sitting so quietly that I'd almost forgotten it was there, let alone what was in it!

On Saturday night, we had some friends over for a housewarming/birthday celebration. Mum, who is a fantastic cook, offered to prepare everything for us so A and I didn't have to lift a finger. I even called her up that morning to ask if she could boil some rice for me - terrible, I know! She made curry puffs, dahl, chicken and potato curry, beef rendang, fried mee hoon, pandan chiffon cake and a very old favourite of mine, a Black Beauty cake. Mum learned how to make this when she first got married and didn't really know how to cook. She is now an amazing cook and still this cake remains a prized recipe of hers. I haven't had this cake in years but I have now been reminded of why it was my favourite. Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to alternate having this and a Black Forest cake for my birthday each year!

Of course, I couldn't resist making SOMETHING, so we bought some roast duck from Victoria Street and made some peking duck wraps. I also baked some chilli-chocolate shortbread and cheddar cheese biscuits to give away at the end of the night. The chilli-chocolate shortbread, which I went straight into the kitchen to prepare after reading Niki's post about them, were outstanding. A would be polishing them off right now if we had any left - alas, they were all given away. I think I've become a fan of ice-box cookies now. I even rolled the dough for the cheddar biscuits into a log and cut the slices instead of rolling out and using a cookie cutter.

Finally, congratulations to B and SJ on your engagement!

4 Comments:

  • Oh the food looks wonderful! And I am very intrigued about what was in that Barney's box!!

    How thoughtful to make a little gift for guests to take home. I am never that organised, but maybe I'll do it in the future.

    By Blogger plum, at Tue. Aug. 16, 10:34:00 pm AEST  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Orendon, at Wed. Aug. 17, 02:19:00 pm AEST  

  • So, what is a black beauty cake? I'm intrigued. I'm so pleased the choc chilli shortbread turned out well - they are yummy, aren't they? I'm intrigued about the cheddar biscuits - I'm a messy biscuit maker when cutting them in rounds. Did you just use a normal recipe and roll it. Would you be interested posting about it?

    By Blogger Niki, at Wed. Aug. 17, 04:42:00 pm AEST  

  • The food all looks wonderful!

    By Blogger Cate, at Thu. Aug. 18, 09:31:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home