.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Monday, August 22, 2005

Coconut Macaroons

I made some coconut macaroons on the weekend for a friend, B, who was celebrating his 30th birthday. Years ago, I made these for him as a Christmas gift and he still remembers them. When he received his party bag of cookies last week, he asked if they were the macaroons I used to make.

There was a toss-up between 2 recipes: the Donna Hay recipe consisted of only 3 ingredients- shredded coconut, sugar and egg whites- whilst the Nigella recipe also included almond meal and coconut essence (or vanilla). I liked the thought of adding almond meal and so chose to go with Nigella's recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess. I didn't have any almond meal in the pantry so I actually ground some whole almonds using my food processor. WOW, what a difference in aroma from the usual bland, store-bought stuff! I also didn't have ay cream of tartar, so I used about 1 tsp of lemon juice as a substitute. The cookies turned out beautifully - dense and flavoursome. I would definitely use this recipe again.

Coconut Macaroons
2 large egg whites, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 100 g caster sugar, 30 g ground almonds,
pinch of salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract or coconut essence, 250g shredded coconut
1. Beat egg whites until frothy then add cream of tartar and carry on beating until soft peaks form.
2. Add the suga, one teaspoonful at a time, and whisk until shiny peaks that can hold their shape form.
3. Fold in almonds, salt, vanilla extract/coconut essence and shredded coconut. Mixture should be sticky and clump together.
4. Form small balls of mixture and place on baking sheet.
5. Bake at 170C for 15 min until golden.

4 Comments:

  • So, we have a lot in common: both female, live in Melbourne, we're Leos (happy birthday! although I've had many more birthdays than you have had), and we love food. I chanced on your food blog, as one does, and was taken with your coconut macaroon recipe (well, Nigella's recipe). Anything that has almond meal in it gets top ratings in my book. I'm off to see if I've got all the ingredients in the pantry. Thanks!

    By Blogger Val, at Wed. Aug. 24, 04:13:00 pm AEST  

  • Glad that you stumbled upon my blog, Val. Happy Birthday to you too! Let me know your thoughts on the macaroons...

    By Blogger cin, at Wed. Aug. 24, 11:07:00 pm AEST  

  • I've been wanting to try that recipe for a while, and now you've convinced me. Although, I am waging a small personal war against the monopoly of the ground almond industry in Australia. A tiny packet costs a fortune! I think the ACCC needs to be brought in to open up the market to competition ;-)

    By Blogger Niki, at Thu. Aug. 25, 11:40:00 pm AEST  

  • much better to ground your own almonds, for sure!

    By Blogger cin, at Fri. Aug. 26, 07:57:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home