.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Collingwood Farmer's Market

A drizzly start to what turned out to be a fine and sunny Melbourne day, but this did not deter many from making their monthly visit to the Collingwood Farmer's market. We brought our shoping trolley along to wheel our purchases home, and boy did this come in handy! We hit the Hope Farm bread stand first because they ran out of the sticky malt sourdough last time and I was determined not to miss out this time! Luckily for us, there were plenty of loaves left at the stand and we ended up getting not just the malt loaf but also a fruit loaf densely filled with plump sultanas, dates and apricots then generously covered in poppy seeds. We also bought some duck eggs to try, spices from the Spice Bazaar, the best tasting Nicola potatoes, organic chicken, and leafy watercress and lettuce amongst other things. We didn't spend long at the market but, as always, well worth the visit. It is a lovely setting and, looking around, you wouldn't even believe that you are only 5 minutes away from the city. Hope that you made it there too, Plum.

On our way home, we took the route that led us down Victoria Street so that we could pick up some roast duck for the party tonight. Victoria Street is lined with Vietnamese restaurants and grocery stores. Best of all are the Vietnamese bakeries where we can get banh mi and sesame mung bean balls. We have only recently discovered banh mi, having tried one a few weeks ago in Footscray (yes we have been a little slow on the uptake, haven't we?) and could now easily have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A ordered a banh mi bi from our favourite Victoria St bakery. It was pretty good, but the one we had in Footscray is still the best so far. Think this has something to do with it being the first?

3 Comments:

  • aaargh, I didn't get to it - it was just too wet and I couldn't fit it in. I console myself with the thought that I can pop into the Booroondara one this weekend (we'll see!). The Children's Farm is by far my favourite location though - more stalls and so so beautiful. We take the Plumbaby and make a morning of it - wandering around the farm and saying hello to the animals.

    I wanted some watercress too - I've bought it there several times and I can't find such nice leaves, if at all, at the markets.

    By Blogger plum, at Tue. Aug. 16, 10:26:00 pm AEST  

  • I'd love to know what you do with watercress....

    The Boroondara market is pretty good too but as we don't live in the area anymore, I haven't been in recent times.

    By Blogger cin, at Wed. Aug. 17, 10:03:00 am AEST  

  • hi cin, good to see some gourmet marketing over in melbourne. I too have a special spot of bahn mi's ... its definitely a breakfast, lunch or dinner winner for me!

    By Blogger deborah, at Sat. Aug. 20, 11:53:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home