.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Goodies from Victoria Street

We took a detour through Victoria Street last weekend, on our way home from the Collingwood Farmer's Market. Of course, I then had to detour during our detour into the grocery stores, which turned out to be a good thing as I discovered something new - hickory kernels. These came in handy little snack packs and resemble miniature walnut kernels. We don't have many hickory-flavoured products here, so I guess I found their taste a little unusual - sweetish, but flavoursome.

The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival, also known as the Mooncake Festival, falls on the 18th September this year and the shops have already started selling mooncakes. Traditional mooncakes are filled with lotus seed paste and can contain one (or more) salted yolks in the middle. My favourite part of the mooncake is the 'skin', but as it would be terribly rude to eat just the skin from mooncakes and leave the filling, I've found another solution- the little pig! This is made with just the skin and has no filling in the middle. Perfect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home