.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Delicious Father's Day Seafood Paella

Happy Father's Day, DAD!
I am blessed with wonderful parents whom I've come to appreciate more and more as I've grown older - isn't that always the way :-P Although mum and I are very close and I can talk about pretty much anything with her, Dad has always been my hero. So, for Father's Day, I wanted to cook a special meal for him.
There's something wonderfully decadent about eating seafood that turns a meal into an occasion. I don't think we should save it just for special occasions, of course, but what better time to try the Seafood Paella recipe for the Good Home Cookbook than Father's Day?
I picked up prawns (are these the same as shrimps, which is what the recipe actually called for), Australian scallops, mussels and clams from Victoria Market. The recipe also includes smoked sausage and as it did not specify the type of sausage, I chose to use chorizo. Surprisely, the recipe asked for long-grain instead of the calasparra rice that is normally used for paella - can anyone shed some light on why this was? Seeing as I didn't have either long grain or calasparra anyway, I substituted arborio rice into the recipe. It may have caused the dish to be a little more starchy/sticky but didn't spoil the texture or flavour by any means. After cooking the rice in safffron-infused chicken stock, the chorizo and seafood was added and the dish was finished off in the oven.
Apart from being an incredibly easy dish to cook, we have decided that this one's a keeper because it was just so smokily scrumptious! Having not had paella before, mum & dad found the flavours a little unusual but very enjoyable. As it is a recipe that I'm testing for the Good Home Cookbook, I won't post it here. If you are interested in trying it anyway, please leave me a comment with your email address.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home