.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Chocolate Sponge Cake - hmmm


Have you ever had one of those baking days when things just do not go according to plan? Sigh, what can you do?

Last night, I set out to bake a light airy chocolate sponge cake for my hubby whose birthday is coming up this weekend - talk about being deflated (the cake, that is!). I was looking forward to slicing the airy chocolate sponge in half and brushing the middle with jam before filling it with strawberries and cream and perhaps dusting the top with icing sugar...well, that was the PLAN, right?

I found a recipe for a basic chocolate sponge and I followed its instructions to the letter and everything was looking quite good until it came to the actual baking of the cake. The instructions were to bake the cake at 175C for 15 minutes, which I thought was quite a short amount of time but being the kind of person that I am, I followed the instructions. Hah! I won't be doing that in a hurry again! I pierced a skewer through at 15 min at found (surprise, surprise) that it wasn't ready. I left it for another 15 before checking, then another 15, then another. I think I must have opened the overn door about 3-4 times before the cake was finally done, but the result was a very sad-looking collapsed chocolate sponge cake. The cake didn't even have the decency just to be collapsed in the middle but it had to be lopsided as well.

This morning, I came to decorate the cake and discovered that it's mighty difficult to slice a lopsided, collapsed cake evenly much less top it with whipped cream evenly. But I made a valiant attempt to make it look half decent and to distract people from the leaning-tower look by topping it with blueberries and stranberries.



I did have another look at the instructions and noticed that they used a jelly roll tin, which I'm now guessing means a really shallow tin that is used to make roulades...so maybe I didn't follow the instructions to the letter then - oops! :-P

3 Comments:

  • It still looks pretty darn tempting though!!! Whipped cream and berries are always a winner, even on a 'disaster cake'. :-)

    By Blogger Niki, at Thu. Oct. 20, 02:17:00 pm AEST  

  • Mmm, I think it looks fab from the top - no one I know would be complaining about a little lopsidedness! And besides, he already got those cupcakes, didn't he??!!

    By Blogger plum, at Fri. Oct. 21, 11:24:00 am AEST  

  • It reminds me of my Mexican chocolate cake that shattered into a zillion pieces when I tried to remove it from the baking pan...it went into a bowl in chunks, mixed with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and topped with orange slices. No one was the wiser...

    By Blogger Suebob, at Mon. Oct. 24, 11:52:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home