Pepperminty Chocolate Cupcakes
After baking, I wanted to frost them with a peppermint icing, but alas, found that I was not in possession of any peppermint essence. I was SURE that I had bought some a couple of months ago in preparation for these cupcakes, but no...my memory deceived me. Instead, I iced them and sprinkeld more Peppermint Crisp over the top (not shown in picture).
I was hoping (fingers crossed) that the peppermint crisp in the middle of the batter would have stayed there to form a nice pepperminty centre to the cupcake, but when I cut one of them open to get a photo, I found that the chocolate had sunk to the bottom and did not make for a pretty picture :-( Nevertheless, these cupcakes were moreishly yummilicious. They had a crispy top (my favourite part) but the peppermint at the bottom also made this section interesting to eat. The icing was a little sweet for my liking so I'd like to try a different type of (peppermint) frosting next time. Any ideas on this would be much appreciated!
Aromatic Chocolate Cupcakes
110g unsalted butter, 200g dark muscovado or brown sugar, 1 large egg, beaten, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 50g dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly, 100g pl flour, 1/2 tsp bicarb soda, 125ml boiling water
- Cream butter & sugar, then beat in egg and vanilla extract
- Fold melted chocolate and blend well but do not overbeat
- Add alternating spoonfuls of flour/bicarb soda and boiling water until you obtain a smooth & fairly liquid batter
- Fill muffin cases halfway and sprinkle chunks of Peppermint Crisp in centre. Spoon more batter over the chocolate to fill case & bake at 180C for 30min
- Ice and sprinkle more Peppermint Crisp over top