.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Dad's Claypot Chicken

Dad returned from an overseas trip just this morning and as mum is going to be away for another week and a half still, she has prepared for her absence in the kitchen by cooking and freezing a batch of lunches and dinners.

As this was his first day home, I thought it would be nice for him to have a hot meal that need not be defrosted. I set out to cook a simple dish for him to have with rice (which he manages very well indeed). I have tried cooking claypot chicken once before without any success. It turned out to be bland and unexciting, however I came across a recipe in the Women's Weekly 'Great Asian Food' cookbook. The Women's Weekly Cookbooks are widely available from most newsagents and supermarkets in Australia. These recipes are certainly not haute cuisine but they are simple and well-tested. The claypot chicken requires just two easy steps - marinating the chicken before baking in a claypot with onions and bok choy.

Although I didn't make the full recipe, I knew that not all the ingredients would fit into the little claypot that I own. I remembered, however, that A had a pot (from before I met him) for brewing chinese herbal medicine that is also made from clay. Although the shape is a little rounder and higher and it has a spout from which to pour the herbal medicine, it's still a 'claypot' isn't it? I can also assure you now that the chicken turns out just as deliciously!

Claypot Chicken
1kg chiciken thigh fillets, 2 small brown onions, baby bok choy, 1/2cup chicken stock. Marinade: 4 cloves garlic (crushed), 1 tbs fish sauce, 1tbs soy sauce, 1tbs hoisin sauce, 2tbs lime juice, 2tbs finely chopped lemon grass .
  1. Combine chicken and marinade in large bowl and mix well. Cover and leave in refridgerator for at least 3 hour.
  2. Place chicken in claypot with remaining ingredients and mix gently. Bake at 180C for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.

3 Comments:

  • That does look delicious. I'm wondering if you could marinate it all day while you're at work, then cook when you get home. Seems like it should be ok, don't you think.

    By Blogger Kalyn, at Sun. Nov. 06, 12:13:00 am AEDT  

  • Mmm sounds delicious. I imagine the chicken would be so tender and flavoursome. I would love to try this with other flavourings as well.

    By Blogger deborah, at Tue. Nov. 08, 07:09:00 pm AEDT  

  • Yummy, I love claypot chicken and yet to try out my new claypot.

    This weekend, Farmgirl and I are joint hosting WCB - a special get well one for Clare and Kiri. Hope Bella and Tasha will join in and bring something to cheer them up.

    By Blogger boo_licious, at Thu. Nov. 10, 11:09:00 pm AEDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home