.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Pistachio, Raspberry & White Chocolate Biscotti

I bought the December issue of Bon Appetit before leaving for my Europe trip, with the idea of baking some Christmas cookies for family & friends. I read through the magazine and only ended up ear-marking a single page. This recipe drew my eye each time I flicked through the magazine, the full-page picture showing off the bright green pistachios and ruby red dried raspberries against a pale biscuit, but I just didn't get the chance to bake before jetting off.

When I finally managed to turn my oven on last weekend, this was the first batch of cookies that went in. Although you need to bake it twice, these are some of the easiest cookies that I've ever made. The dough takes all of 5 min to combine before being shaped into 2 logs. The logs are cooled after baking, then sliced and baked again. I used some Pariya semi-dried sour cherries that were a little too alcoholic-tasting to just snack on in place of dried raspberries. These tasted wonderful in the biscotti but they lacked that brightness of colour that would have contrasted so well against the base. Oh yes, I also substituted the coconut extract for the almond extract because I really dislike the flavour of almod extract.

I cannot commend these biscotti highly enough! Definitely my favourite out of the 3 types of cookies that I made this weekend - although the vanilla salted peanut cookies come pretty close. What made them even more incredible was the chocolate that I used to coat them - Callebaut 54% Dark and Valrhona Ivory White. Expensive? Yes, but I think it's well worth it!

Pistachio, Raspberry & White Chocolate Biscotti
3 cups AP flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup sugar, 3 large eggs, 2 tbs olive oil, 2.5 tsp coconut extract, 3/4 cup shelled pistachios, 1 cup dried raspberries/strawberries, 1/2 cup white chocolate
  1. Beat sugar, eggs, oil and coconut extract until well blended.
  2. Add flour/baking powder/salt mixture and beat until smooth.
  3. Stir in pistachios, dried fruit and white chocolate
  4. Drpo dough by heaping teaspoonfuls into 2 12-inch long strips on baking sheet and shape with wet fingers into 3-inch wiode log.
  5. Bake at 175C for 30 min until lightly browned and firm to touch.
  6. Cool logs for 30 min then cut each into 1/2-inch thick slices. Stand upright onto baking sheet, spacking about 1/4-inch apart, and bake for 20 min at 170C.
  7. When cool, dip into melted chocolate and chill 30 min until chocolate is set.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home