.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Monday, February 06, 2006

Wasabi Pea-Crusted Barramundi


It looks like I'm not the only one who has been getting into wasabi peas lately and this is a snack that is definitely moreish. Whilst the peas are not as potent as wasabi paste itself, the vapourising heat can still catch you out unexpectedly. Cuttlefish and shrimp flavoured peas are also available but where would the excitement be?

We loved the fresh barramundi fillets from Garfield Fish Farm last time and picked more up over the weekend. The fillets were coated with crushed wasabi peas (mixed with some cuttlefish peas), salt and freshly ground Sze Chuan pepper before being pan-fried. Crunchy texture of the skin contrasts with delicate white flesh, but with fish this fresh it's hard to go wrong.

9 Comments:

  • Looks delicious. I love wasabi peas. I crushed them up for a sushi roll with salmon and jap mayo once. Quite nice. Must try it for a crusting

    By Anonymous Sue, at Mon Feb 06, 04:14:00 pm AEDT  

  • I hadn't even thought of them as a coating but it would be fabulous! Must try it soon.

    By Blogger plum, at Mon Feb 06, 08:30:00 pm AEDT  

  • Woa, you made it yourself?
    Lookin' delish!
    I wish I was as creative as you are =p
    I like wasabi peas too, so you're not alone.

    By Blogger strawberry, at Tue Feb 07, 09:59:00 am AEDT  

  • Sue: Sushi roll sounds like a great idea!

    Plum: I'm going to try it with salt&pepper calamari too

    Strawberry: Thanks for stopping by & leaving a nice comment!

    By Blogger cin, at Tue Feb 07, 04:49:00 pm AEDT  

  • I did see this and was thinking about it when I posted as I always have some in the cupboard. I've been Baramundi at the farmers market but J beeing a fussy Queenslander doeesn't seem to like the farmed stuff which is a shame I think it's not too bad. I wonder maybe if I could win her back to farmed Barramundi with this recipe and shall try.

    By Blogger Ed Charles, at Tue Feb 07, 09:36:00 pm AEDT  

  • What a great idea Cin!

    I love barramundi with cho chee curry :)

    By Anonymous Clare Eats, at Tue Feb 07, 10:18:00 pm AEDT  

  • Ed: I think it's pretty good!

    Clare: What's cho chee curry?

    By Blogger cin, at Wed Feb 08, 07:41:00 am AEDT  

  • This sounds fantastic clearly the peas are capable of much more than occassionally sharing them with my colleagues at work.

    When I took mine to work, some work colleagues despite being informed before putting them in their mouths that they contained wasabi nevertheless took a few and proceeded to shove them in. These same colleagues did a very quick double take. Hah! I say more for me.

    By Blogger Lushlife, at Wed Feb 08, 09:59:00 pm AEDT  

  • This sounds great - wasabi peas are sooo addicting I would love to try it in a new way. I've been buying online as the price is cheaper and its not so easy to find in the stores. I found this place to be the best -
    http://www.jdfinefoods.com/nuts/wasabi_green_peas.htm

    By Blogger Morris, at Fri May 11, 04:14:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home