.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mum's Banana Cake

Mum is a wonderful cook, excelling in both savoury and sweet dishes. However, in the days before I had developed any interest in food, I did not have a real appreciation of this. I ate her food everyday so it just seemed normal to me and, in fact, my brother and I use to beg for the meat-and-3-veg dishes that all our friends had for dinner or, horror of horrors, even McDonalds! (I can't even remember the last time I had burgers from there)

As good as she is now, I still remember the story from mum's teenage years of when she attempted a banana cake for a friend's birthday (or something). She had baked this before, to acclaim, however she left out the eggs by mistake this time. The banana cake rose beautifully and smelled delicious however, to her utter embarassment, it promptly crumbled and fell apart when they tried to slice it. If only her friends could see her now!

She has, of course, mastered the art of baking this cake now and I can certainly remember this being baked on a regular basis when I was younger. I think it must be particularly popular in Malaysia as I've seen it in a few cookbooks. I love the moist 'banana-iness' of this cake and it has remained one of my all-time favourites.

Mum's Banana Cake
125g butter, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 large eggs, 1.5 cups SR flour, 1/4 cup milk with 1/4 tsp bicarb soda and 1/2 tsp vanilla essence added, 2 ripe bananas
  1. Cream butter and sugar until pale.
  2. Add eggs one at a time
  3. Add flour and milk alternately
  4. Mix in bananas and pour into 20cm lined tin
  5. Bake at 180C for 45 min (bake for 20-25min for cupcakes or for 1 hour for double batch)

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home