.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Passionfruit & Mango Pavlova

A couple of weeks ago, we went to a farewell picnic for some friends who are returning home to Strasbourg after spending a couple of years working here. For the afternoon tea, I made the very Australian (or New Zealand depending on who you listen to) dessert - a pav.

I followed Stephanie Alexander's recipe, which she promises will result in a crisp shell with a marshmallow interior. I got the crisp shell but not much in the way of marshmallowiness so I should probably reduce the cooking time from 1.25 hr to 1 hr. To decorate, turn upside down, dollop some softly whipped cream then top with luscious mangoes and passionfruit pulp.

Stephanie Alexander's Pavlova
4 egg whites, pinch of salt, 250g castor sugar, 2 tsp cornflour, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, few drops of vanilla extract, 300 ml cream, passionfruit pulp & diced mangoes
  1. Preheat over to 180C
  2. Beat egg whites & salt until satiny peaks form
  3. Beat in sugar, a third at a time, until stiff and shiny
  4. Sprinkle in cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and fold lightly
  5. Spread onto baking paper within 20cm radius circle and smooth tops & sides
  6. Place in over and reduce temprature to 150C. Bake for 1 - 1.25 hr (depending on your oven)
  7. Turn oven off and leave pav to cool completely.
  8. Turn upside down and top with whipped cream & fruit

7 Comments:

  • Yay Cin, I intend to make this on Tuesday for a pav-lover and was going to do a quick search before baking (I too had decided to use Stephanie Alexander's version). I like mine crunchy pretty much almost all the way through, is that what yours was like after 1.25 hours?

    By Blogger plum, at Sat. Mar. 18, 08:57:00 pm AEDT  

  • Hey Plum! Yes, mine was almost all crunchy, but you could leave it a little bit longer just to make sure. Loking foward to photo.

    By Blogger cin, at Sat. Mar. 18, 11:11:00 pm AEDT  

  • Yum! Great shot... I am drooling. I love a good pav and the marshmallow bit is my favourite.

    The fluffiest one I ever got was when my egg whites collapsed. Distraught at the thought of throwing out a dozen eggwhites I used a springform tin with amazing success. It didn't have much of a shell, but the marshmallow. My god. Like those Pavlova pantry bases but soooo much better...

    By Anonymous helen, at Sun. Mar. 19, 09:10:00 pm AEDT  

  • I am so craving pavs now I am almost in tears. Oh, for a good pav in this pav-challenged country! Oh the sorrow ...

    By Blogger MM, at Mon. Mar. 20, 02:50:00 am AEDT  

  • Looks fantastic & the mango/passionfruit topping sounds delicious

    By Blogger Ange, at Mon. Mar. 20, 02:35:00 pm AEDT  

  • hola, this looks and sounds yumm! i'm gonna try it out when i get a KitchenAid stand mixer!

    By Blogger *kel, at Tue. Mar. 28, 06:32:00 am AEDT  

  • Damn that looks good, Cin. One of the first things my wife ever made for me was a delicious pavlova, so they're a special dish for me.

    I can't tell you how much I love passionfruit and mango. Great combination.

    By Anonymous rob, at Wed. Mar. 29, 11:13:00 am AEDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home