.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Monday, April 24, 2006

Barbequed Chilli Ribs

I appear to have been on a chilli-kick lately. Could this all have resulted from that one time when, due to a friend's intolerance for the addictive hot stuff, I was prevented from adding any chilli to our pasta sauce?
This time, I was keen to turn some beef short ribs into sticky, chilli-coated barbequed ribs...but things don't always turn out the way that I hope. After surfing through a couple of recipes, I couldn't decide whether it would be better to cook them in the oven or just under the grill. I was going to opt for the grill but these pieces of beef short ribs were quite meaty and thick and I was worried that they would not cook through properly just under the grill. So, what did I do? After marinating the ribs in a mixture of hoisin, soy sauce, chilli bean sauce and some other ingredients that I forget now, I baked them in the oven for ~15 min then under the grill so that the outside would be brown and sitcky-looking. The ribs looked fantastic - you can see for yourself in the photo - but they were hard to cut through and slightly dehydrated. Anyway, not much I could do on the night. We had them with steamed edamame and chilli-fish from Infinity Cafe.
For dessert, Chocolate Ripple cake drizzled with the same Caramel au Beurre Sale as featured here. I first learnt how to make this dessert in primary school from a neighbour and never would have thought before that that there could be a dessert that was so effortless and yet so addictive. I wonder if this would work just as well with gingernut biscuits?

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home