.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Marron Chaud!

One of my most enduring memories of Europe is the mouth-watering aroma of roasting chestnuts. Wandering through the Christmas markets of Prague and Strasbourg, we would often find ourselves gravitating towards the stands where chestnuts were being roasted over red-hot coals, drawn by their wonderful, warm and inviting fragrance. Then when you finally have a cornette of hot chestnuts in your gloved hands - ah, what bliss! Of course, my wonderful husband would then have to de-glove in order to peel the chestnuts while they were still hot.

As we find ourselves settling in for the cooler Melbourne months, our thoughts turn once again to 'kastany', as they are known in Prague, or 'marrons chauds' in french. Although our winters are not nearly as cold, I've noticed chestnut stands popping up around the city over the last few years. I'm not sre how well they do in terms of traed, but I'm quite happy to roast chestnuts myself at home and A. is still quite happy to peel them for me so I don't burn my fingers :-)

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home