.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Pasta Marinara


The meals that I cook tend to be on the spicy side because both my husband and I love chilli. However, I had to really restrain myself for this meal because C. does not do spicy. Boy, was this difficult! I managed to sneak in a piece of salami that A. managed to snag in his dollop of sauce and I say 'sneak' because it was chilli salami! Fortunately, it wasn't spicy enough to really be detected (or at least, C. didn't SAY anything about it!) but, I was just trying to increase his tolerance slowly :-P

I made pasta again on the weekend and after holding back the last time, boy did I go heavy on the chilli flakes and the pimentos we picked up from the organic stall at Victoria Market! In fact, so much so that I had to tone it down later on - OOPS!!!

This time, I went with a marinara sauce. In other parts of world, the term 'marinara sauce' - which originated from the Italian 'all marinara' or 'sailor style' - refers to a spicy tomato-based sauce that includes onions, garlic and herbs but not meat. However if you order a Pasta Marinara in Australia, be ready for a tomato-based seafood dish.

Yet again, there is no recipe for this sauce but it's pretty similar to the last one, except for the addition of the above mentioned ingredients for their chilli kick. Oh, I forgot to mention last time that I also tend to add one or two anchovies in my sauce. After all the ingredients go in, my favourite part is allowing the sauce to simmer on a really low heat for the afternoon so that it fills the house with a mouthwatering aroma. Just before serving it with the past, I threw in some prawns, mussels, shrimp, octopus and fish.An the pasta itself? Fresh parsley, oregano and basil fettucine from the Donini's on Lygon Street. What a great meal, served with a slice of toasted sesame seed and sea salt ciabatta!

I think the flavour of the pasta would come out more with a simpler sauce so I may try that next time - any suggestions?

7 Comments:

  • cin, looks like a lot of marinara is now tomato based seafood .. nice going there

    By Blogger fooDcrazEE, at Wed. Apr. 19, 07:43:00 pm AEST  

  • btw, i linked ya

    By Blogger fooDcrazEE, at Wed. Apr. 19, 08:50:00 pm AEST  

  • That looks fantastic! Great photo!

    By Anonymous Ivonne, at Thu. Apr. 20, 02:39:00 am AEST  

  • Sounds delicious & a tip for your friend who doesnt like chilli, just slowly increase the heat everytime you serve them food & soon they build up a tolerance without even realising it, I have done this to unsuspecting friends with great results!

    By Blogger Ange, at Thu. Apr. 20, 10:00:00 am AEST  

  • mmm i love pasta marinara. i sually will order this at italian restos as they have had the sauce simmering away which means all the mussels have absorbed some of that delicious tomato tang. yum!

    i also wanted to get back to you about the cookie press. yes, i have recently started using it for its intended use (not just icing cakes) and love it. have you made any other types of cookies? so far ive only made the german spritz cookies which i also used to sandwich some yummy pink grapefruit jam. will post about it as soon as i make another batch.

    By Blogger deborah, at Thu. Apr. 20, 11:38:00 am AEST  

  • FC: Thanks for the link!
    Ivonne: Those are kind words.
    Ange: Hehe, that was the idea ;-)
    Saffy: I've not tried anything other than spritz cookies too. What else can you make with them? Mmmm, grapefruit jam sounds delish! I've tried rosepetal jam and that's pretty good too :-)

    By Blogger cin, at Thu. Apr. 20, 05:57:00 pm AEST  

  • That's the way I make mine - seafood in last so it stays plump and juicy. Restaurant marinara - or pescatore - is often disappointing.

    That pasta would go nicely with just oil and garlic and some finely grated parmesan - or shards of fetta to bring out the oregano.

    By Anonymous kitchen hand, at Fri. Apr. 21, 11:15:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home