.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Friday, May 26, 2006

Chocolate-Ginger Checkboard Cookies


Oooooo, I feel so bad! But yes, I am going to, um, sorta cheat but I'll call it taking a little shortcut! I'm combining my entry for Sugar High Friday and Donna Hay Day with this little contribution. I present the Chocolate Ginger Checkerboard Cookie!

The theme for this SHF, which is being hosted by
Ruth, is ginger - an ingredient that I use to absolutely loath. I could not understand why mum would want to cook with it all the time. I'd find it in soups, chicken dishes, vegetable dishes and I'd insist that she fish out all the pieces so that I would not accidentally encounter it during my meal. I didn't understand how mum could enjoy eating the bits of ginger that she had removed from my plate but, y'know what, some tastes can be and are worth acquiring. I love ginger now, although I tend to use it more in savoury dishes than sweet.

I've been thinking about making the Chez Panisse Gingersnaps that Clotilde blogged about some time back but after reading that this Donna Hay Day's challenge was Checkerboard Snap Cookies, I got thinking. More specifically, I got thinking about crystallised ginger pieces coated with dark chocolate. Translate this to the checkerboard cookies - how about dark chocolate squares matched with ginger-flavoured squares. And why not add some small ginger pieces to the ginger squares? Hey, why not go all the way and add ginger to the dark chocolate squares too?

So, I amended the basic recipe to include 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 2 tbs cinnamon and 1 tbs stem ginger pieces in half of the dough and cocoa and Green & Black's organic dark chocolate with crystallised ginger pieces in the other half.




These cookies smell like gingerbread but for me, the dark chocolate parts were the best bit about these cookies - intensely chocolately with a hint of ginger. I would add even more ginger next time so there's a real zing to each bite.

Chocolate-Ginger Checkerboard Snap Cookies

185 gms butter, 1 cup of caster sugar, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 eggs

  1. Beat buter, sugar and vanilla until smooth
  2. Add flour and eggs, beating until smooth
  3. Halve the dough and add 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1 tbs Green&Black's dark chocolate with crystallised ginger pieces to one lot. Add 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 2 tbs cinnamon and 1 tbs stem ginger pieces to the other half.
  4. Divide each half into 2 lots and shape into logs. Place a ginger log next to a chocolate log, then top ginger log with the other chocolate log and top the chocolate log with the other ginger log.
  5. Slice into 4-5mm thickness with sharp knife and bake 10-12 min at 180C.

, , ,

11 Comments:

  • Cin they look fantastic!
    Love the ginger chocolate combination and I *know* my dad would go absolutely nuts over these. I have to admit I hadn't seen the G&B ginger choc before but I will keep my eyes peeled ;)

    By Anonymous Clare Eats, at Fri May 26, 09:56:00 pm AEST  

  • Wow - and just when I thought I'd seen all the gingery recipes I'd want.....

    Thanks for participating in SHF. Look for the roundup on Monday.

    By Blogger Ruth, at Sat May 27, 01:24:00 am AEST  

  • Cin, they look very good. I'm currently "chequering" cookies this weekend and this is such a great version.

    By Blogger boo_licious, at Sat May 27, 06:33:00 am AEST  

  • Cin,

    As soon as I saw the picture and the name of the cookie I knew instantly that you were combining SHF and the Donna Hay event.

    Well done! I ber teh ginger and chocolate go really well together!

    By Anonymous Ivonne, at Sat May 27, 07:01:00 am AEST  

  • I don't think it's cheating - I think it's clever! Mmmmn chocolate ginger

    By Blogger plum, at Sat May 27, 05:23:00 pm AEST  

  • They look so nice and crunchy and I just love anything with ginger.
    well done!

    By Anonymous mumistheword, at Sun May 28, 02:40:00 pm AEST  

  • How yummy these soun, I love ginger & chocolate, mmm think you have just given me a craving, it has been a while since these flavours were tasted by me...

    By Blogger Ange, at Mon May 29, 10:43:00 am AEST  

  • how creative! must have tasted delish.

    By Blogger babe_kl, at Mon May 29, 03:43:00 pm AEST  

  • cin,
    I love your idea of add ginger and clove! I can imagine how good your cookies smell (and taste)!

    By Blogger gattina, at Tue May 30, 03:52:00 pm AEST  

  • Clare: I prefer my cookies to the actual chocolate ;-P
    Ruth: Thanks for hosting!
    boo-licious: looking forward to seeing your cookies
    Ivonne: heheh! it's fantastic together.
    Plum: like I said, it's a shortcut!
    Mum: I don't think they are gingery enough. will try more next time
    Ange: Ginger is the best, isn't it?
    babe_kl: Thanks for the compliment. It is very yum.
    gattina: Thanks. Hubby loved that I smelled of baking.

    By Blogger cin, at Tue May 30, 08:34:00 pm AEST  

  • CHEATER!!

    I was going to do that but then I am too obsessed with ginger to do it. Not at all cheating IMHO.

    My Life As A Reluctant Housewife

    By Blogger Gabriella True, at Fri Jun 02, 04:55:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home