.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Buttermilk-Honey Banana Bread

Way back mid-last year, a Paper Chef entry caught my eye and this recipe has been sitting in my 'to try' folder for some time. I love banana bread and would normally use mum's recipe but buttermilk just conjured up such cosy feelings and images for me that I had to try this recipe out...with a few modifications of course!

I used one mashed banana and about 4 dried ones, all chopped up into little pieces, and also added not just dried dates but apricots and sultanas as well. With the additiional dried fruit, I really should have cut out the sugar entirely as it turned out to be just a tad too sweet for my tastes. What a great loaf otherwise though - moist with a good crumb.

Btw, A. loved the sound of buttermilk so much that he considered having it on his cereal but upon tasting a little, found that it not to be rich and creamy as he had imagined, but thin and sour instead!

Buttermilk-Honey Banana Bread

2 eggs, ¾ cup sugar, 1 mashed banana, 1/3 cup buttermilk, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1 ¾ cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, 30 g butter, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup chopped dates, 1/3 cup chopped dried bananas, 1/4 cup dried apricots and sultanas, 1/4 cup walnuts

  1. Beat the eggs with the sugar for about 5 min until thick and light.
  2. Add mashed bananas, buttermilk, walnuts, honey, dried fruit, oil, butter and vanilla.
  3. Add sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
  4. Pour batter into loaf tin and bake at 170C for 60 min until top is golden brown.

5 Comments:

  • Your bread looks great. Were these whole dried bananas? I've only seen the pieces. And I have to fight Figgy for the buttermilk when I buy it to cook with! He loves to drink it plain by the glassful! Ugh.

    By Blogger plum, at Mon. Jun. 12, 10:34:00 pm AEST  

  • You can get moist whole dried bananas (not chips) in Asian grocery stores. Try Victoria Street - banana seems to be a really popular snack!

    By Blogger cin, at Tue. Jun. 13, 09:42:00 am AEST  

  • I love banana bread. It's been a while since ive made it though.
    Your banana bread would be worth a fortune... with the price of bananas these days!!!

    By Blogger jenjen, at Tue. Jun. 13, 08:52:00 pm AEST  

  • This sounds lovely, & the addition of extra fruit is something I would like to try out too one day - will keep in mind the sugar factor - thks

    By Blogger Ange, at Wed. Jun. 14, 10:10:00 am AEST  

  • One parcel from NZ went in the mail today. I hope you like what I've chosen.

    By Anonymous Barbara, at Mon. Jun. 19, 12:14:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home