.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Chocolate Fix


Take a walk down Lt Collins Street, heading towards Elizabeth St. When you spot the Ay Tea House, turn right into Hub Arcade, mosey right down to the end and you will find the Chocolate Fire Cafe. Most of the produce seemed to centre around dried fruit dipped in chocolate but the very chatty owner is looking to introduce 6, yes count them, SIX new lines each week. Where Koko Black is dark timber, elegance and ganaches nestled neatly under a glass counter, Chocolate Fire Cafe is colourful and bright with the dried fruit forming straggly lines. They also offer pringles thickly coated with milk chocolate and plan to feature chocolate-dipped pretzels soon. I didn't try the hot chocolate but the ower assures me that "...it's very popular with the Asian students" and that some have claimed that it's better than
Koko Black's, which was voted Melbourne's best hot chocolate by the Herald Sun - big call!

My small selection of chocolate-dipped fruit took a loooonnnng time to purchase and for once this was not due to my indecision. The lady behind the counter resolutely kept her back to me, determined to show a very inexperienced new girl how to get a box ready for delivery before actually serving a customer in front of her. After waiting patiently for 10 minutes then asking her if this was a bad time and should I come back later in the afternoon, she replied huffily "Oh, are you in a real hurry?" then sent the new girl, who was absolutely clueless, to serve me. Hmmm, me thinks this area needs some improvements before they are ready to compete with all the other great chocolate places around Melbourne.

Go to Chocolate Fire Cafe if you have a really sweet tooth because you will need this to enjoy the combination of concentrated sugars in the dried fruit and chocolate. Or, go there if you want to test their claim about having the best hot chocolate. Koko Black is just around the corner so you could even do a head-to-head comparison!

Chocolate Fire Cafe

Shp8/ 318 Little Collins St Melbourne 3000
(03) 9663 5881



I had heard about Monsieur Truffe before but I only got the chance to visit his stall at Prahran Market two weeks ago. Charming us with samples of decandently dark truffles, the lovely Monsieur Truffe encouraged us to try the various flavours but we quickly fell for the chocolate caramalized almonds and brought a pack home with us. A. reckons that these are the best chocolate almonds around - big thumbs up!

11 Comments:

  • I think a head-to-head comparision with Koko Black would probably kill me, but I definetely think I'll give Chocolate Fire a try :)

    By Anonymous Ellie, at Sun. Jul. 16, 11:29:00 pm AEST  

  • Inattentive service is always infuriating. Esp when you're trying to give them money darn it!

    Chocolate looks good though, and I think you will have to try their hot chocolate. For research purposes of course.

    By Anonymous Helen, at Mon. Jul. 17, 10:04:00 am AEST  

  • Naughty foods, yay! Looks wonderful... I have to go for *ahem* research too. Yes, to compare against Koko Black.

    By Blogger Belinda, at Thu. Jul. 20, 08:53:00 pm AEST  

  • Great review! I'd be really undecided about ever going back due to the service, though. Inattentiveness plus huffiness, sounds really unpleasant. Does Melbourne have a LOT of good chocolate chops?

    By Blogger Susan in Italy, at Fri. Jul. 21, 07:37:00 am AEST  

  • oh i heard so much about monsiur truffe... do you know if he has an online store? or a supplier who sells online. im planning a trip to melbourne later this year... but i dont think i can wait till then ;)

    By Anonymous deborah, at Fri. Jul. 21, 05:07:00 pm AEST  

  • oh my what a spread! can't go wrong with chocolate!

    By Blogger jenjen, at Sat. Jul. 22, 02:21:00 am AEST  

  • Deborah, Mr truffe has an email address so you could do mail order. next time I buy a pack I could let you have it. Cin, glad you've discovered him. I'm being rationed at the moment as they are toooo good.

    By Blogger Ed Charles, at Sun. Jul. 23, 11:23:00 am AEST  

  • Ellie: My husband tried the hot choc last week and he thinks it may be on par with but definitely not better than KB.
    Helen: Of course, it's been a while since we tried the KB version...
    Belinda: Let me know how you go!
    Susan: They are becoming more common but my husband and I both think that some of these are better than the ones in Brugge.
    deborah: Not that I know of but I could be convinced to get some for you...
    jen jen: no never!
    Ed: Ah, you've already made the offer! What's your favourite?

    By Blogger cin, at Sun. Jul. 23, 10:03:00 pm AEST  

  • Yum, yum, yum! I was in Melbourne 6 years ago - I think it's time to revisit!!! ;)

    By Blogger geneve, at Thu. Jul. 27, 03:21:00 am AEST  

  • I finally got to Chocolate Fire! Their chocolate is much sweeter and yes, service isn't their forte. But what variety!

    I didn't have the hot chocolate but I did do a comparison with Koko Black chocolate! I still can't decide :)

    By Blogger Belinda, at Wed. Aug. 23, 08:05:00 pm AEST  

  • your post made me laugh because i stumbled onto this place apparently the first wk they opened (after having dinner across the arcade at the indian place which is fab btw).

    we could not get out of the choc shop b/c the owner was so chatty. we had some choc & one of the hot choc varieties. both were good but i haven't been dying to go back.

    i also agree service wasn't their forte - they weren't even clear how to use the til. i would have hoped they figured that out by now. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat. Aug. 26, 05:45:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home