.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Best Cioccolata Calda in Melbourne

A team from The Age's Epicure department tracked down and tested this dense, creamy Italian hot chocolate brew that is cioccolata calda to announce that the best of the best can be imbibed at the Lygon Street institution, Brunetti's.

I can personally attest to fact that Brunetti's cocoa, milk and sugar concoction, which is made by their in-house chocolatier and kept churning in their heated cioccolatiera, is very good indeed, however having not tried the others I cannot definitively name it as the best ;-)



In your opinion, who makes the best cioccolata calda in Melbourne or Sydney?

PS: Unfortunately, despite mentioning that two places did not rise up to standards due either to their uninspiring brew and bad service, the journalist does not name names. Too bad for us as we won't know which places to avoid :-(

6 Comments:

  • I thought that was irritating (about the not naming bad places).

    I've found the hot chocolate at San Churros on Brunswick street to be okay, as are the churros, but the service was positively stroppy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue. Aug. 22, 04:04:00 pm AEST  

  • I love the drinks at Brunetti too. I also love their tiramisu. It has a much stronger flavour than a lot of other places.

    By Blogger thanh7580, at Tue. Aug. 22, 07:48:00 pm AEST  

  • koko black has really awesome hot chocolate!i hope its not the one to be avoided for bad service tho :)

    By Anonymous kai, at Tue. Aug. 22, 08:59:00 pm AEST  

  • Not having tried hot chocolate at many places, I couldn't say where to get the best - but I'd love the chance to taste them all and find out!

    By Anonymous Ellie, at Tue. Aug. 22, 09:42:00 pm AEST  

  • Definitely the Gertrude St Enoteca in Fitzroy. Thick, rich steamy goodness. Mmm...

    Also worth mentioning is the European on Spring St. Truly chocalicious.

    By Anonymous Lady Lunchalot, at Wed. Aug. 23, 11:30:00 am AEST  

  • anonymous: The wait was too long last time I went past so haven't tried it yet.

    Thanh: Ooo, haven't tried the tiramisu yet, just the biscuits & hot choc.

    Kai: Yes, I agree with you although the chilli hot choc was a little too rich. I've never encountered bad service at the chocolate counter but dunno about upstairs although I can't imagine it...

    Ellie: Yes, the only way is to do a head-to-head!!! :-)

    Lady Lunchalot: Hmm, thanks for the tips. I wouldn't have considered these places before.

    By Blogger cin, at Wed. Aug. 23, 06:01:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home