.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Bye, Lime Leaves...

Oh no! We were picking up some things from Safeway QV earlier this evening and on our way out of the complex walked through QV square. To our horror, we noticed that Lime Leaves, the modern Malaysian restaurant with communal tables, is no more. It has been replaced by Wagamama.

We've eaten at Lime Leaves about 4 or 5 times but I hadn't gotten around to blogging about it and now it's too late. I would never have ordered 'hawker-style' dishes because they are way more expensive ($16 to $20) and not as authentic as what you would get from somewhere like Penang Coffee House or Rich Maha. However we have been quite pleased by most of the other dishes that we've tried including the crisp-sealed calamari with wild ginger flower dipping sauce and the roast duck salad with nashi pear, green apple, sprout, carrot, mint and lime leaves. I cannot remember the other dishes and they are not on the menu that I'm holding but they were very good. And it's one of the very few Asian restaurants (and in particular Malaysian restaurants) that leans more towards the fine dining end. As much as I love the grottier places around town, it's good to have that choice available especially if you have friends or relatives who are, ahem, shall we say a little fussier?

Lime Leaves also had two of the best cocktails that we'd come across...sob, sob...

5 Comments:

  • Oh dear, do we really *need* another Wagamama, especially in such close proximity? I'd walked past Lime Leaves with the intention of visiting it one day but never made it. Looks like I'll never have the chance :(

    By Anonymous Ellie, at Sun. Aug. 13, 11:59:00 pm AEST  

  • That must be the St kilda "relocated" Wagamama. our gain is your loss!

    By Blogger Ed Charles, at Mon. Aug. 14, 11:00:00 am AEST  

  • Ellie: unfortunately, that looks to be the case :-( Not that I've been to Wagamama yet but I hear it's not that great.

    Ed: Yep, I figured this was te one that had relocated but didn't realise it was taking over L.L.'s location. Why 2 in the city though given that there's already the other one on Flinders Lane/ Lt Collins St (?).

    By Blogger cin, at Mon. Aug. 14, 11:34:00 am AEST  

  • I commiserate you on your loss of a fine restaurant in return for a sadly mediocre one at best, and an affront to Japanese food at worst.

    I only wish I had never had to find out for myself...

    By Anonymous Matt, at Tue. Aug. 15, 05:00:00 pm AEST  

  • Wow I have just been looking through the blogs over the year and they are fabulous. Awesome photos that make me hungary! Love all the stories and mostly love your passion for life (food, travel, cooking, A, the cats and your fam and friends) You are an inspiration. xx p

    By Blogger p, at Mon. Sep. 04, 10:15:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home