.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday in Sydney

This is the last of our Sydney posts. We managed to score some great Sydney weather, the kind of mild sunny day that is complemented by the gentlest of breezes. Perfect for a stroll through The Rocks where the Sunday market takes place. At one of the first stalls we across, there was a fantastic looking garlic ciabatta that called out to us. The stall holder directed us to the Fine Food Store within The Rocks Centre. We bought a loaf of the ciabatta, seduced by the golden caramelised whole garlic cloves but alas the bread itself was disappointingly stale. The shop was cute tho...
From the Rocks, we made our way down to Chinatown, stopping by at the sardine-packed St Honore Cake Shop on Sussex St to pick up some treats, including the Szechuan pork bun below. Definitely worth pushing your way through the Sunday lunch-time crowd to snag a bun or two or three.

At the other end of the arcade way is Mother Chu's Taiwanese Gourmet, where we had lunch- a taiwanese seafood combination soup and an interesting sounding savoury bean curd soup. I'm used to having sweet bean curd soup, Tau Foo Fa, at yum cha but have not come across a savoury version before. I think I'll stick with the sweet from now on as this broth had aas much flavour as tepid tap water. Actually, both dishes could have done with more seasoning. I think we may have ordered the wrong things as other tables seemed to hold all sorts of delicious-looking dishes...

6 Comments:

  • Heh, I didn't even realise there was a Fine Food Store in the Rocks Centre (shame about your unfortunate purchase though).

    By Blogger Helen (AugustusGloop), at Sun. Aug. 27, 12:24:00 am AEST  

  • Awww, pity about the stale ciabatta! But even bad food experiences are kinda good - you know where to go not to experience that particular disappointment again ;) The Szechuan pork bun looks yuuuum, I love those things so much!

    By Anonymous Ellie, at Sun. Aug. 27, 09:26:00 pm AEST  

  • Melbourne isn't immune to artisanal bread a day or two old being sold as fresh. I know two shops where they do it on a regular basis. I really object to it as well. All week I eat bread a day or two old for my homemade sammies; on the weekend I want fresh!

    By Blogger neil, at Thu. Aug. 31, 02:10:00 pm AEST  

  • Hi Cin - did you taste any of the Rième drinks? They have got to be some the gassiest drinks on earth!

    By Blogger Haalo, at Thu. Aug. 31, 04:03:00 pm AEST  

  • Helen: Yes, never seen it before myself! Cute place tho'

    Ellie: Yes, but now we know better. Szechuan pork bun was really yum!

    Neil: Definitely fresh is best!!! I've been caught out before at Vic Market but not all that often otherwise. I just assumed that any decent store would not try to pull a fast one!

    Haalo: No, just liked the look of them. Are they really? May keep away as I don't like really carbonated drinks!

    By Blogger cin, at Thu. Aug. 31, 04:27:00 pm AEST  

  • They do look lovely, I've had the pink and orange but yes they are uber carbonated - shades of Willy Wonka and fizzy pop.

    By Blogger Haalo, at Fri. Sep. 01, 05:30:00 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home