.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Few of My Favourite Things!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Food Bloggers Guide to the Globe

When I first read Melissa's post calling for foodbloggers around the world to compile a list of 5 things they would recommend everyone to eat, all these great food thoughts came tumbling into my head. Even though there was no need to be tagged before posting this meme as everyone was invited to make their contribution to this list, I really, really wanted to be tagged! After waiting and waiting and waiting (yes, I'm impatient by nature), Julie was generous enough to pass the baton on so now I can finally post my list.

In the making of this list, my husband had to be consulted because (a) I am the least decisive person in the world and my list would consist of at least 15 or 20 or more of some of my favourite foods in the world and I would be utterly helpless when it came to whittling them down to just five and (b) it's not just what you eat but who you eat it with that counts for me and my ultimate companion for trying new things and exploring new places is of course, my husband.

So, here is our list of five things to have before you die:

  1. Macarons from Pierre Herme - Yes, I'm sure that this is going to get quite a few mentions but we could not leave it off the list, especially the caramel à la fleur de sel ones that A. would make a special trip to Paris for.
  2. Indonesian Layer cake from Amsterdam - we came across a bakery/cheeseshop that sold wedges of this rich butter cake spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, cardomom, cloves. Can't tell you the address I could probably find it again when we are next in Amsterdam.
  3. Salted-butter Caramel crepes and Blue cheese Saracen - there were many many stalls selling crepes at the Christkindelmarkt in Strasbourg. One of the smaller stalls had just two people behind the stand, a stout, moustached gentleman making the crepes and his daughter helping with the hot drinks. They were taking a short break when we went by but something about the stall compelled us stop and wait for them to return. What a great decision that was - the most amazing salted-butter caramel crepe. Pity we didn't get the chance to have another. We have been searching for salted-butter caramel crepes since but it's like finding a needle in a haystack!
  4. Prosciutto pizza with egg in Etoile, Paris - On our first trip to Paris, we met up with friends at a little pizza place between conference sessions. He was having a pizza that we had never seen before, just thinly sliced prosciutto with an egg cracked into the middle just before taking it out of the oven. So simple but mind blowing. We have returned to this pizza joint every trip since but always at the wrong time - either too early or too late.
  5. Tea from Mariage Frere - you just have to try the tea blends from this place. There are just so many choices but I have no doubt that each is as enticing as the next.

I'd love to hear from:

4 Comments:

  • No news from Clare again this weekend. Please let us hear from you Clare.
    I will be hosting WCB 65 this weekend, Sept. 2-3, 2006.
    Everyone can send their links to my E-mail address: danbonnie1@adelphia.net or my Web page: http://misselliespage.blogspot.com/2006/09/searching-for-host-for-this-weeks-wcb.html
    Thanks.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^=, at Sat Sep 02, 10:35:00 pm AEST  

  • hi i bloghopped from babe kl's. your blog is really awesome and lovely! simply love all the pics u took =) i'm a foodie myself too and its really great to know likeminded ppl. take care!

    By Anonymous evan, at Sun Sep 03, 08:08:00 am AEST  

  • would definitely have to agree with macaroons from pierre herme! his creations are always to die for. the best we've got in australia would have to be the delice at the Lindt Boutique. Mariage Freres in Paris has such an old world charm to it. My favourite tea would have to be the darjeeling camelia tea. it's exceptionally better than their darjeeling tea (hence the hefty price).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Sep 03, 09:03:00 am AEST  

  • Great list!

    The Pierre Herme macarons seemed to be on a lot of people's lists which tells me that they belong on my personal list of things I've never tasted but hope to some day.

    By Anonymous Julie, at Mon Sep 04, 01:05:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home